MISSION ADDRESS

Sister Carly M Springer
Paraguay Asuncion North Mission
Avenida Santisima Trinidad No 1280 C/Julio Correa
Casilla De Correo 1871
Asuncion, Paraguay

Monday, February 6, 2012

Week 58 - Asuncion Paraguay - Marambure

Dear Family, Friends, and all variations thereof,

I really don't know how to begin writing about this week. It was kind of crazy, and now things are all crazy still and my mind is all jumbled. I'll do my best.

On Monday night, we got the long-anticipated Changes Call, and it was revealed that Hna. deVries was to stay in Villa Hayes with my old companion Hna. Brittner, and I was leaving to a place called Marambure, where I'd be opening an area and TRAINING AGAIN! That was super emotional. I'm not gonna lie, I was kind of happy to get a change of scenery, but training again? I really didn't think that would happen. I definitely wasn't as scared this time as last time about "raising" a new missionary, but opening an area with a new missionary? THAT was a stressful concept.

But turns out I really didn't have anything to worry about. Marambure is actually split into two Hermanas' areas, so there are four of us and we all live in the same house.  Hna. Peel, who came one Change after me, has already been here for three weeks, which is super helpful, except she's training too so she was just as stressed as me. Her new companion is the Hna. Quispe, from Peru. She's by far the most tranquila Peruvian missionary I've ever met. She's so sweet and so craftsy and just loves the work already. I keep forgetting that she's new because she already speaks Spanish so well. It keeps throwing me off whenever she hesitates to do contacts or something. Hna. Peel is from Mesa, Arizona, and she's a composition major. She sings and draws and speaks Spanish really well and gets along great with the people.

As for my trainee... Her name is Hna. Greer. She's from Maine. And I've never met her. Last week I went to the training meeting and everything at the mission office, but my new companion was still in the States due to a health complication. So I've been going around with Hna. Peel and Hna. Quispe in a trio all week, getting super lost in Marambure but getting excited to show a new missionary how the work is done. I even made her a little welcome-to-Paraguay card. But then yesterday Pte. Madariaga called to tell me that Hna. Greer's health isn't getting better, so she's been reassigned to Denver, Colorado. We have no idea if that's a permanent assignment, or just until she gets better. But in any case, this means that I'm now leaving Marambure tomorrow and working in the neighboring city of Ybera instead, with a Honduranean named Hna. Fonseca.

*Sigh* I very much dislike being in limbo like this. I just barely unpacked and now I have to repack. And I really, really like Marambure. It's BEAUTIFUL, with lots of trees and much nicer houses than any other area I've ever been to. The house we live in is so big. We call it The Bat Cave because it has huge high ceilings. It has two showers and air conditioning. Enough said. We don't actually live in Marambure, but in Luque, which is way more city-ish. The entrance to our apartment is squeezed between two little shops on a busy street lined with shops. After four months in Villa Hayes hunting for anything I needed, now I can find everything I need on the same block I live on. It's awesome.

Except...I'm leaving.

The ward is so awesome, too. It's much bigger than any of the others I've seen, and the Spirit was much more present. This fast and testimony meeting Sunday was so great. All of the youth had just gotten back from the first ever Paraguayan EFY (They call it "Effee"). They all talked about how much they hated it when they first got there--how they weren't allowed to just sleep and drink terere with their friends but had to *gasp* split up from their friends and be roommates with *gasp* ARGENTINIANS! Oh Paraguay... :) But then by the end of the week they loved EFY so much and they loved their roommates so much, and they all came back KNOWING that the Church is true. I never went to EFY, but I definitely have a testimony that it changes lives. What a wonderful program. I hope many more Paraguayans go next year. I know not a single youth in Villa Hayes went this time.

We didn't really accomplish much this week besides just getting to know the members (who I'm now leaving). We got a slow start what with Hna. Quispe and I having to unpack and buy food, and Hna. Quispe needing those extra training study hours, and us getting SO LOST. We kept accidentally getting on the wrong buses and getting hopelessly lost way too far away from where we wanted to go. It happened almost every day this week. It was a mess. But I'm determined to work so hard in Ybera with Hna. Fonseca. I'm going to be super happy and positive and reliable. It's going to be great. I'll let you know all about it next week.

As for leaving Villa Hayes... I'm really missing Hna. deVries. She was an excellent companion. But she'll get along great with Hna. Brittner, and the members all love her. She was always just as capable as I was there. She could be Senior companion already. I'm really satisfied with what we accomplished there together. Maybe it doesn't look too impressive on paper, but we worked hard, and we slept well every night knowing that we could face the Lord with clean hands and pure hearts. :)

Oh, one last funny food story for this week. Hna. Peel made some cornbread for one of our lunch appointments, and she mentioned to our host that it was good with honey. Our kind host went and got a big bottle of honey that she'd gotten from the chaco. We were excited to try it on our cornbread, but instead she brought out bowls and spoons and gave us each a whole bowlful of honey! Dad, after all those times you told us, "Want some steak with your A1 sauce?" or "Want some pancakes with your syrup?" I just couldn't help but crack up as we literally ate cornbread with our honey instead of the other way around. It was disgusting, really. WAY too sweet. But apparently that's actually how they eat honey here.

Oh, and thank you Teresa for your package!! It was so sweet. And thank you Mom and Dad for sending me our Christmas card. It's gorgeous. And Jenkins, I got your Christmas card, too. I have such an adorable family. You all rock my socks. :)

I LOVE YOU!! Have an excellent week! You'll hear all about Ybera next time!

---Hna. Springer

1-Me with the Hnas. Quispe and Peel
2-Some pretty scenery
3-Saying goodbye to the Irala Family
4-My crazy district (the Elder next to me put brownie in his teeth)






1-The hilarious card that the Benjamin Elders made for me.
2 - Estefania and Sol, my favorite Villa Hayes Paraguayans
3-A map of Marambure--the yellow spot in the corner is the chapel. Good luck trying to figure out where I'm actually working. I have no clue. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment