MISSION ADDRESS

Sister Carly M Springer
Paraguay Asuncion North Mission
Avenida Santisima Trinidad No 1280 C/Julio Correa
Casilla De Correo 1871
Asuncion, Paraguay

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Week 75 - Paraguay - Concepcion

Querida Familia,

Can you believe that it's Monday again already? I feel like the days are slipping through my fingers like sand. Today we're having a very laid-back P-Day. After a week of humidity and blazing sunlight, we're being pounded with rain finally. It's amazing how yesterday we were sweating bullets, and now we're wearing coats again. 

We just got done making a TON of empanadas with the Elders. They were all excited to make the crust themselves, so we spent two and a half hours putting it all together. Empanadas are like the hamburgers of Paraguay--they're sold for cheap on any given street corner. It probably would have cost ten minutes and 16 mil for all of us to buy how many empanadas we made for 50 mil of ingredients and two and a half hours of time. But at least we got to handle the ingredients ourselves, and the crust WAS much better quality. Plus it was just fun for all of us to be together. Changes are happening tonight, so who knows how our district will look next week. It's always good to do a last, parting get-together.

Of course, I know exactly where I'm gonna be next Change. Right here in Concepcion with Hna. Goimarac. And it will be my VERY. LAST. CHANGE. 

What.

Six weeks feels like nothing. Today's quote in the quote book Laurel made me says "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on!" I feel like that's what I'm doing. I'm reaching the end of my mission rope and tying knots as fast as I can to keep myself from slipping further. By the time the end comes, it will take quite the effort to get me untangled, and I pity the fool who tries to take that rope out of my hands. :) 

I want to see the Meza family's baptism SO BADLY. We're doing all we can to make it happen in June. They are such an amazing family. They read the scriptures and pray as a family every night. Even before we suggested such a habit, they were doing it. Who DOES that? They're so unified and loving, which is amazing considering that Juan Angel had a dark past as an alcoholic father. His family is amazing for having forgiven him and moved on with happiness and hope. 

They all prayed together to ask the Lord if they should be baptized in June. We haven't been able to talk to Juan Angel about that, yet, but the mom, Gladys, says that she feels that it's right, and she's doing all she can to convince her husband that he's ready. Juan Angel wants to be baptized. He wants to be a member, but he's afraid that he's not good enough, basically. He wants to be worthy to be called a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, and he's afraid that he'll slip up. We're going to be talking to him a lot about that this week, and I highly doubt that he'll put off baptism for too long. Hna. Goimarac has a good saying for people who think they're not ready for baptism: "The Church isn't a museum full of perfect people, it's a hospital for those who are working to become perfect." 

Alex Franco, Juan Angel's member friend who's been 100% the reason why the Meza family is doing so well, gave a beautiful testimony on Sunday. He's not a very sensitive person, but he was crying so hard as he shared with the congregation the joy that he's felt in helping his best friend get over his addictions and put his family together. It was very sweet, and I'm glad that the Meza family was in church to hear it.

Rolando was confirmed in church yesterday, which means that we already met our part of the mission goal for June for every companionship to get at least one baptism! We're not gonna slack off now, by any means, but it still feels nice to know that we did our part. He's doing great. He had a fun week with his dad in town and is obviously sad that his dad has to leave to work again, but he's happy that he's baptized and that his dad got to see it.

This week was a big deal for Concepcion. On the 31st of May was the "Birthday of Concepcion." Actually, the 26th is when the city was actually founded, but back in the day they could only get to Asuncion by horseback, so it took them five days to take their constitution to the capital to become a city. So they celebrate on the 31st.

Anyways, there was a HUGE parade. As you know, they've been practicing outside of our apartment for weeks (and we're very thankful that that's all over and done and we can study in peace again), and on Thursday it all came together. Every school in the city AND in the surrounding cities, AND some cities closer to Asuncion and Brazil, AND many major Paraguayan organizations participated in the parade. We didn't recognize the city center at all when we went to see it (our lunch appointment was cancelled for the occasion, so our lunch hour was spent at the parade instead). The main street was packed full of people, the whole center full of chairs and the catholic church sporting a pavillion for the country officials to wave to the parade participants. The Virgin Mary statue was decked with cameras and announcer people so everyone could watch the event on TV. Street vendors from other countries were there, taking advantage of the crowds. It felt a lot like a major football game or 4th of July carnival or something--lots of cotton candy and noise and families having fun together. Now if I ever decide to come back and visit Concepcion as a tourist, I know when to do so. There were lots of things to buy. 

It made contacting a cinch, not only because everyones' families were in town but also because we had a great conversation starter. "Hey, how was the parade? Were your kids in it?" It was a good week. We met our goal of 75 contacts again, easily.

...I don't really know what else to write about today. This week was so fast and fairly uneventful. 

Oh! But I finished the Book of Mormon again, for the third time as a missionary. I could have read it faster, but I try to just read a chapter a day so I can really get the most out of it, and so that I can have time to study Doctrine and Covenants and Preach My Gospel AND the Conference Liahona. I love the Book of Mormon. I love Moroni's final plea for us to come unto Christ, lay aside all ungodliness, and let Christ's grace let us become sanctified. Also, his challenge for us to ponder over the Book and ask God if it be true. I honestly feel bad for anybody who doesn't appreciate the Book of Mormon, or who thinks that it's a fake or whatever. I can feel its reality whenever I read it, especially in the end. Mormon's and Moroni's sadness is so touching, and I wouldn't dare tread their sacrifice and hard work under my feet. I want to be able to see them after this life and thank them for what they did, not be embarrassed or apologetic for not having followed the guidance that they gave their lives to give me. I am so thankful for that guidance. My life would be so different without it. I know that that Book is true. I KNOW it, and I love it, and I wouldn't replace it for anything. I'm excited to begin to read it all over again tomorrow. 

Well, that's about it for today. Thank you Grandma Springer, Hna. Tua'one, Amanda, Ashley, Sarah, Mom, Dad, Goompa, and Holly for writing to me this week. And thank you McConkies for the awesome pictures. I love you all and hope you're doing well and reading the Book of Mormon lots. :)

---Hna. Springer


1-One of the only photos I got from a member of little kids in the parade
2-Us making empanadas
3-Our empanada feast

Love you!!

---Carly










1 comment: