MISSION ADDRESS

Sister Carly M Springer
Paraguay Asuncion North Mission
Avenida Santisima Trinidad No 1280 C/Julio Correa
Casilla De Correo 1871
Asuncion, Paraguay

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Week 79 - Paraguay - Concepcion

Queridos Parientes y Amigos,

I feel like I was just barely here at the internet cafe and I don't have much else to say except SOMEBODY SLOW DOWN THE CLOCK PLEASE!! I have no idea where the last two months went. It seems like my whole mission I was so aware of how much time I had left, but now the end has just snuck up on me all of a sudden. 

I gave my last testimony in my very last Fast and Testimony Meeting yesterday. Can you believe that? Yesterday morning I was considering just not bearing my testimony at all. I kind of liked the idea of just sneaking out of Concepcion without the pain of saying goodbye to everybody. But then we were sitting in Sacrament meeting and I was really emotional from my fasting and from the fact that it was my third-to-last Sunday and because the Meza family hadn't shown up. There was a long pause where nobody got up to bear their testimony, so I decided to break the awkward silence and make myself get up and speak. I still wasn't planning on saying goodbye, but I eventually did. I didn't want the fuss of having everyone count down the days for me, but I know it would have hurt their feelings if I hadn't said anything. Besides, goodbyes are sometimes the best times to tell someone that you love them, and I LOVE this branch so it had to be done.

But that wasn't the only reason why I'm writing about how I bore my testimony. I had another one of those "God DOES love me" moments while I was up there. I was just talking about how God shapes us by giving us difficult moments where we'll learn to rely on Him. I had just wrapped up a story about how I know that God does know our hearts and loves us, and then...Juan Angel walked in. I don't really know what I said after that. I was mostly talking to God in my head after that, thanking Him for once again taking care of Juan Angel and showing me that everything will work out. I had been so worried about Juan Angel and his family, wondering why they hadn't come to church, wondering if he'd smoked over the weekend. Then there he came--a half hour late and looking like he'd just thrown on whatever clothes he could find to make it to church on time, but he'd made the effort to come. I couldn't help but cry, and I'm sure the congregation noticed what had caused the tears to flow all of a sudden. 

I was so happy the rest of the day. Juan Angel happily told us that thanks to the many hard candies we've been providing, he hasn't smoked since last week. He and his family are still preparing to be baptized, and best of all, now Juan Angel knows that I'm leaving soon so he's anxious to be baptized before I go. 

The branch is being so great. They were about as excited to see him come to church as we were, and several of them have gone to visit the Meza family throughout the week. They already feel like members. We just have to make it official. :)

On Saturday night the Mezas even came to the District Family Night held at our chapel. It was a very cute event, though a little unorganized. They told everyone to come at 6:00pm, but it didn't actually start until 8:00. They played "Night at the Museum 2" to entertain the few who DID come on time, but they'd mostly counted on everyone to come two hours late. It was an okay idea, except for those of us who actually came on time (especially us missionaries, who can't watch TV...). They were so bored. Night at the Museum relies a lot on history knowledge for its jokes and....let's just say that most of those in attendance weren't history buffs. 

But when the Family Night did actually start, it was wonderful. They started with a little fireside about the importance of the family, and then they had a Show de Talentos (yes, they actually say "show" here. No Spanish translation for that word, I guess). They had everyone perform talents as FAMILIES, not as individuals, and it was adorable. There was mostly singing and traditional dancing. My favorite was an act put on by a young couple in our branch. They did a traditional Paraguayan dance complete with costumes. The dance was one that's usually performed just with couples--it's supposed to be a flirtatious, romantic dance--but they included their eight-month-old son in the routine, passing him between them and such. It was SO CUTE. The looks of love they had in their eyes was so precious, especially since it extended to their baby. It was so beautifully symbolic of how fun families can be and how the fun in your life doesn't end when you have children. It was so perfect for the theme of the activity. The pictures I got of it aren't great quality, but I will never forget that little family.

Aside from that...there just really isn't much to tell about this week. Our progressing investigators are doing pretty well aside from church attendance :( but we had great days this week just meeting new people and sowing new seeds. It's really REALLY sad for me to know that even if we find the coolest investigator ever who comes to church three weeks in a row and wants to be baptized ASAP...I won't be here for it. :( 

That doesn't mean that I'm discouraged or lazy, though. As with Crecencio, I've seen several times that it takes every missionary's effort to get these people to change their lives. Maybe I won't see any more convert baptisms after the Meza family, but I can still change peoples' lives by starting them on that first step or helping them continue down the road towards salvation. I know I'm not done here, yet. The Lord still has a lot in store for me. If He didn't, He wouldn't have me stay two weeks longer. :) 

Thank you Grandma, Laurel, Sarah, Dad, Mom, Goompa, and the Blairs for writing to me this week. And since I'm sure the Goimaracs will be reading this, too, HAPPY BIRTHDAY HNA. GOIMARAC'S DAD!! :) 

I love you all!! Have a fantastic week!

---Hna. Springer


1-4= pictures of an adorable little family who, at District Family Night, put on a traditional Paraguayan dance for us. The lighting was awful so my pictures aren't great, but I just love the look in their eyes as they show the world that even married couples with kids can still dance. :) 
5- This one's mostly for Ashley. The decorations place next-door to us has two siamese cats that are often found sleeping in the display case where I guess it's pretty warm. It always makes me think of "Elf" whenever we catch them in there.








No comments:

Post a Comment